GRAEME HIGH SCHOOL
PARENT TEACHER ASSOCIATION
(Including alteration made on 3/9/90)
To promote co-operations between parents and teachers in everything pertaining to the well-being of the school and its pupils.
To afford opportunities for the study and discussion of all matters relating to the education and welfare of children, recognising that the headmaster is the responsible authority in the school.
To facilitate a) and b) by organising social, educational and fund-raising activities.
Membership of the Association shall be open to:
- Serving members of the teaching staff
- Parents and guardians of pupils in attendance at Graeme High School. Parents' eligibility shall cease at the end of the session during which their last child leaves the school.
The nominal subscription shall be reviewed by the A.G.M.
- The business of the Association shall be managed by a Committee consisting of the Office Bearers (Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer) and 11 other members. The total of 15 members shall comprise 10 parents, elected by parents who are members of the Association and 5 members of the teaching staff elected by the staff. At the Annual General Meeting every effort shall be made to obtain a membership which is truly representative of the catchment area. This shall be done by first inviting nomination for members from each of the 8 primary school catchment areas and electing a representative for each area by a show of hands. Thereafter the unfilled vacancies will be filled by general nominations.
- The Committee shall have the power to appoint committee members when the need arises during their current year of office as well as the power to appoint sub-committees who may in turn may co-opt members if necessary.
- All members of the Committee shall retire annually but be eligible for re-election immediately.
- The Office Bearers shall be appointed annually by the Committee at the first Committee Meeting after the A.G.M.
- In Addition to the 15 members of the Committee as listed in a) there shall also be an honorary President who shall be the Rector of the school and an honorary Vice-President who shall be the Depute Rector of the School. These members shall have no voting rights.
- From henceforth any Committee member missing three consecutive Committee meetings, having been informed of said meetings, who has not notified in advance the Committee of their proposed absence will automatically cease to be a member of the said Committee.
- The Annual General Meeting of the Association shall be held in the month of September each year to receive the reports of the retiring Committee, to elect a new Committee, to elect the auditor and to deal with any other competent business.
- Special General Meetings may be called at any time by the Committee or on the request of not less than 40 members.
- The Committee shall meet as frequently as may be found necessary, but not less often than once every 2 months during the school session, and at any time on the request of the Chairman.
- Seven days notice must be given before a Committee Meeting and decisions may then be taken by the majority of members attending, provided there is a quorum of 8 members including representation from both parents and teachers. In the event of a split vote, the Chairman shall have the casting vote.
- Seven days notice must be given before a Special General Meeting or the Annual General Meeting, and decisions may then be taken by the majority of members attending (with the exception of 9 below), providing there is a quorum of 8 members. In the event of a split vote, the Chairman shall have the casting vote.
- The funds of the Association shall be lodged in a bank in the name of the Association.
- Money may be drawn from the account in the signature of any two office bearers.
- The signature of the Treasurer alone shall be sufficient on any cheque up to an amount decided by the Committee.
- Such funds as referred to above shall not be regarded in any way as part of school funds but in the event of the winding up of the Association all balances in hand should automatically be transferred for the benefit of the school.
The accounts of the Association shall be closed on 31st July and shall be audited annually.
The Auditor shall not be a member of the Committee and shall be appointed for the ensuing year at the Annual General Meeting.
ALTERATION TO THE CONSTITUTION
No alteration or addition to this constitution shall be made except at an A.G.M. or at a Special General Meeting convened for the purpose. Such proposed changes shall be specified in the notice calling the meeting and be approved by not less than two-thirds of the number present.